I’ll admit, I have never had much of a cleaning routine. I’ll let things get pretty gross sometimes before I break down and clean them. It’s not like the dirt doesn’t bother me, cause it does. I hate when the bathroom counter and sink get full of make up, toothpaste, and general nastiness. I feel a thousand times better when the house is clean. So, why haven’t I done anything about it? I think my problem is three-fold:
Maybe this is more lack of motivation. Now that I have a baby crawling around our dirty floors, I feel motivated!
- Lack of a routine
I have no cleaning routine. I just wait for things to get dirty and then clean them. This needs to stop.
- Lack of cleaning know-how
I don’t feel like my methods for cleaning a lot of stuff are that great to begin with. I’m ready to try out some new techniques for cleaning the floors (need to stop Swiffering and start vacuuming), the tub, the grout, and just general up-keep of counter tops.
Now that Sully has entered the picture, the dirt and messes that I used to be able to live with drive me nuts. Dog hair has become a huge problem since he started crawling. He’s always covered in the stuff from crawling through it. I honestly never noticed just how bad it was until now!
So, I’m turning over a new leaf. I don’t have a clear-cut routine just yet, but I’m testing one out. It’ll go something like this:
- Make bed.
- Put away clothes.
- Wipe down bathroom counter and sink (with a microfiber cloth).
- Wipe down kitchen counters and table.
- Vacuum living room, kitchen, and dining area (I just got a cordless stick vacuum for this task. I think this will make it easier to achieve this goal.)
- Clean the toilets (I’m a fan of the Scrubbing Bubbles disposable brush pads).
- Clean the shower/tub. (I don’t have a clear cut routine for this yet. We use Scrubbing Bubbles spray and a sponge. Any suggestions for cleaning grout? What do you use for your tub? I’ll be testing things out for now.)
- Vacuum bathroom and bedrooms.
- Bona the wood floors.
- Spot clean the tile floors.
- Change and wash sheets.
- Vacuum/clean couch (As much as I would love Nico not to hang out on our couch, it is a habit I can’t break her of.)
- Dust (using a microfiber cloth).
- Wash couch cushion covers.
- Wipe down baseboards (going to try out the dryer sheet method).
This is just the obvious stuff I know I need to get better at. Some things, like doing laundry and washing dishes, are already automated tasks we stay on top of, so I don’t feel the need to put them on a set schedule.
Does anyone else have cleaning tips or suggestions for my routine?